Monday, June 18, 2012

wood you like a silhouette?

I gave you this sneak peek of the silhouettes I made for roomie Kate:



We discussed making them white, but after some pinteresting, we found this:



LOVE! So color was the route we wood take.


I had profile shots of Kate and her siblings, and I put them in Illustrator to size them to the same height. Then I printed them, and cut them out with an exacto knife. If I flipped these over, it would be the actual picture of them. I've seen some tutorials where people change the silhouette to black or white in photoshop before cutting them out, but there's really no need to do that. 

I shaped the bottom of them and traced them onto the wood.


I put picture hangers on the back before I painted.


Here's my setup! These were meant to hang in Kate's lake house, so she had me match the colors on a table they had in there. I was looking at it on my computer as I painted.


TA DA! 




Here's me holding one so you can see the scale. Not too big, and not too small! I really like the texture of the wood. Perfect for a lakehouse!


Here's one on the kitchen counter. It looked really gray against the wood floor pictures up there, but it's not that intense.


I think I'll list these on Etsy. They're just $20 each, and if you're interested, I'll need a profile picture along with whatever color you'd like! And it's not limited to just people.. I wood also be able to do your fur babies as well! 


HA! See what I did there?


Linked to: Young House Love , Centsational GirlTen June

3 comments:

  1. So fun! I love them on wood. I have a silhouette prepped of my son I just need to figure out medium. I may try it on wood now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cool! I never would have thought to do one on wood! And I definitely never thought of making them for others on Etsy! I hope that goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of doing these on wood! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete